Artistisc Thinking:

Week 6 Technology BootCamp...whoop whoop whoop! 

me likey to play with technologieee!


To start out let me introduce you to my new Delicious page:


http://delicious.com/avantvoyager



Here is the beginning of my Vision Board from Pinterest:


http://pinterest.com/maria8scuderi/manifesting-my-visions-creating-my-world/




And now for my Brain Storming with Inspiration:




Visions of my Future to be Manifested:


http://popplet.com/app/#/494106



























Read and React Week 6:



Building my Visual Lexicon has been a process I began in my teens when I started to save images from magazines, old art books, cards, drawings, colorful adds and my hunts through thrift stores for old postcards and art prints. I still have a few boxes with these images for which I have used in art making, but now they are more like sentimental items that I don’t want to part with even though I rarely pull them out to use. In our Week 6 bookcamp I was excited to learn about all of the new websites and technology tools for finding, bookmarking and storing newfound images. The old way of viewing my collection involved spreading them out on the floor or a large table to pick and choose, and many times I still didn’t have room to browse through all of them. Therefore I am delighted by the choices given and have enjoyed finding some new favorites. Until I read about Google page ranking and advance search I must admit that most of my online images have come from a quick look through Google images. I have jumped a page or three ahead yet I have rarely explored other image sites. I am always glad to find new and unusual or alternative sites. Thank You Melissa! So for the first part of this post I will share with you my new top three image sites. After checking out most of the 28 image sites, the ones that I have bookmarked based on quantity, categories and user friendly are…1) Google, 2) imgfave, 3) Pinterest.  As far as the vision/mindmapping boards go I liked Pinterest the best then Inspiration and then Popplet.

Making the boards were fun and time consuming yet It helps to slow down and mentally and physically make those connections with visual representations and direct lines of connections. I can see how the mindmap is a perfect visual and mimicking tool which looks and acts like the axons, neurons and dendrites in our brain. Far-Out! 


After reading Duncan’s article on Culture Education, I can and will agree that as we evolve and develop new technologies and modes of learning and teaching in this 21st century, so should our terms, our definitions and our general pedagogic tools. Duncan states how we need adequate ways to organize and implement an updated, currently relevant curriculum that offers better ways to read and interpret our visual, global culture through, “Using contemporary lenses that apply to the extraordinary plethora of images that now form a large part of our daily lives.”
 ( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)
Duncan does not denounce the elements
and principles of art for formal qualities of images, yet he strongly suggests that they are not enough to help push art education into catching up with our image saturated societies. While in concert with Olivia Gude’s progressive working models, he is reconceptualizing principles, such as Gude who has, “specifically designed (pinciples) to help consider today's postmodern fine art that often involves computers, collages, and installations. For example, she
suggests hybridization, layering, and appropriation.
Duncans principles are: power, ideology, representation, seduction, gaze, intertextuality, and multimodality.
 “By means of images we engage with widely shared social assumptions about the way of the world: Who are we? What is good versus bad? How should we act and avoid acting? Images offer any number of answers to each of these questions, as well as to many others. Images offer ideologies that can be racist, sexist, xenophobic, ageist, or marginalize people with physical disabilities, but images also offer support for families, inspire ideals, and work to conserve the
environment” ( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)

“Representation is closely aligned with ideology because it refers to how ideology is presented in visual form. It refers to much more than a mere likeness. It involves what images represent, how they represent, and what they fail to represent. What is privileged and what is marginalized? And what rhetorical devices are used to influence our understanding of what is represented?” ( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)


“If we come to images with stereotypes in mind, to see them represented is to experience the pleasure
of feeling justified in our views. Equally, images offer the fulfilment ofdeep-seated, even unconscious, desires, including socially taboo pleasures (Zizek, 1989)”
( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)

“We are invited by images to see in a particular way, but we also come to them with already existing relationships to what we see.
This means that considering the gaze is a way in which to understand ourselves as individuals and as a society. Are our own gazes sexist, racist, and so on?”
( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)

“With intertexts, images are connected irrespective of historical categories like high and low, past and present, and, importantly, they connect student interest and knowledge with teacher requirements in a way that is limited only by time and imagination.” ( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)

“Many devices are used to situate the viewer in relation to the subjects of representation, including angles-of-view and framing.” ( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)

“The multi modal nature of imagery is yet another reason for considering images in terms of their context.” ( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)

“Words, music, and sound effects anchor the meaning of images.” ( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)

“Even in art galleries images appear with labels, and their assumed significance
is deeply grounded in art history texts and columns of written critique.”
( Duncan, Art Educ 63 no1 Ja 2010)


My attempt at Intertextuality:  The Statue of Liberty


http://popplet.com/app/#/495553


1 comment:

  1. I love that a lot of your inspiration board were great quotes, super colorful art, or an embrace. You and I have similar interests and likes :)

    ReplyDelete