Artistic Thinking: Week 4

Artistic Thinking Week 4. Tech Bootcamp ......


Artistic Thinking: Week 4, Read and React

What is your personal perspective on utilizing social networking sites (such as facebook) for education? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

            When doing my homework for this week, I started with the things I thought would be more fun and easy to do. I played with Lino then jumped onto Voice thread and over to Twitter. I have put off writing this to the last minute, and it’s not that I don’t like to write, but it takes so much more discipline and focus to read unfamiliar text, assimilate it and then extrapolate on it. Im not joking when I say, “much more time”. Therefore, I can understand and be an easy advocate for utilizing both Asynchronous and Synchronous technology to engage students. I am willing to try anything if it means I and my students will be able to sustain interest and gain real learning experiences together and separately. Curriculums and lesson content will never be one size fits all and with all of these alternative methods we can give students more choice in their personal exploration and absorption of material. I know it is easy for me to say this in my idealized classroom where time, resources and school policies are exactly how I desire them, but I have to start somewhere.
So here’s to Susan Brooks-Young and Larry Rosen; I thank you for starting the conversations and proposing that we embrace evolution, and find the best ways to communicate and relate to our students on their level while building curriculums’ inside the very things that usually take their time and attention away from traditional instruction. I did my student teaching at Lang Middle School in Columbia and I had to constantly do a song and dance and try every trick and more just to try to maintain some order and interest. Of course there is a lot to consider but my guess is that with a well thought out plan and a few test runs, using these online technologies will prove to be useful tools of the trade.
In Young they explore several ways to integrate, build and apply Asynchronous and Synchronous tech as teaching tools in and out of the classroom. I was already familiar with a couple of the applications, such as Wiki’s, FB, and Blogs but sill need to explore a few more such as Teenlife, online Games and Podcasts. I had mixed feelings about how designing a curriculum online would work and still wonder about the pros and cons of face to face interpersonal communication and hands on skill building compared to using technology that can be isolated, and possibly create a void of physical and emotional exchange. I would never rely on web 2.0 tools but I do believe in providing as many resources and mediums for my students to explore and use for their personal expression. After reading Brooks-Young I was glad to know that the trends and viewpoints about social networks are changing and I definitely agree that effective use of these Synchronous web 2.0 tools are important for giving our students practice in responsible use of collaboration within these tools. Teaching students how to use their tech as tools to become self-sufficient learners and seekers, and this is where I would start. I’m sure Ning would be a good choice yet if I’m going to teach them to be 21st Century team workers, critical thinkers and problem solvers, I would use the networks that they are use to and associate with so that they can expand on what they do know and bring more sophistication and thoughtful application to not only their school work but to their own social circles.
I can think of many uses for both asynchronous and synchronous tools and to start I would use Brooks-Youngs basic idea of building an appropriate and creative profile to use as a portfolio.
Within that they can add links, videos, wiki’s, and have constructive conversations about their work with others.
I like the idea of having access to my students and being available to them as well. So, “Yes!” I do believe the benefits outweigh the risks and I am an advocate for taking risks since that is what pushes me out of my comfort zone and presents me with new learning opportunities. After proper training and testing of the rules and regulations for copyrights and other important guidelines, I will happily embrace these tools and do my best to incorporate them into my dynamic, 21st Century art curriculum!  And for all the Fun Suff...Play time is my Favorite time!!


Skyping with Christine, 

It was nice to meet Christine and I welcome others to Skype me if you want to chat as well.
here is my screen shot of our conversation, As you can see Christine is adorable and I need to get myself to the beauty shop....STAT!  Ha ha ha...



Today I became a Great Aunt for the 5th time! I dont have any little ones of my own but I do have plenty to play with, entertain and try out all my art education theories out on! WhaaahaHaHa


Even though I feel like Im thinking and moving at a snails pace, I am getting there!!
 So here is my first Screen Cast below:


I will demonstrate what the basic layout looks like inside Final Cut Pro

http://screenr.com/Hw38




I checked back into my Twitter Account which has been in a coma state since I tweeted once and never again since tonight.
my Twitter adress is:

I forgot how much fun tweeting can be and a quick way to consume a large amount of info in one bite. Just dont forget to chew with your mouth closed, it is only polite.

And now for the voice behind the Tweets, the posts the ramblings.....Here is my Voice Thread and a quick story behind some photographs taken this summer durring my first trip to Joplin Missouri.  PS: Look on slide 5 for a comment left by someone named Erik, He thinks I should edit that photo and shows why, please give me your own opinion. I left a comment in reply to Erik, dont know if he will ever hear it but felt a need to defend my photo.
Also, my recorded comments do not start right away so you have to push play or wait till they start going. Thanks


https://voicethread.com/share/3382415/

">



Here is a link to my Face Book page and a screen shot:













1 comment: