I first learned about TED TV when my art instructor at the University of Missouri sat us down one day, within our drawing class, and introduced us to a few talks on TED. Elizabeth Gilbert was the first one that gave me a profound "AHA" moment when she spoke of the 'genius' that we all have. I recognized myself and the rest of my classmates in her thoughtful insights and was comforted and inspired by her fresh perspective on creativity.
The second "AHA", was listening to Janet Echelman on Taking Imagination Seriously. It struck me, as I saw her amazing net sculptures undulated in the wind, that my favorite art is the art that is accessible and visible to the general public. It catches people off guard when they notice it while in their rush to cross town or in their short lunch break, and it can have a deep and lasting impact on them within just a few seconds of noticing a new image, form or performance. It's this kind of art that derails the left brain train so that the right brain air balloon can lift them above the caos to a heightened view of the beauty around them. I believe inventive, thoughts manifested give form to formless ideas living in our imagination. It is my hope, as an art educator, help open up the imaginations of my future students and my potential school and community to appreciate the importance of nurturing both our intellect as well as our genius so that when the spirit of pure creative potential comes flying by we will grab onto it's tail and be confident that it will lead us to greater perspectives and new discoveries we all can benefit from. Conceptual art that sits in galleries or museums is interesting yet I dont see it's purpose or contribution if it's important ideas are lost in translation or kept a secret to only the privileged few that understand it's history and codes.
Maria Scuderi Oct. 10/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment