After reading the book, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson I have been reminded of some of the thoughts and feelings from my teenage years.
I think most can identify with the themes of self-consciousness and wanting to belong, to fit in; but I am also guessing many more of us, openly or secretively, can identify with things like sexual violence, post-tramatic stress, shame and or guilt.

Melinda, the main character, deals with all of this and more while she remains silent and tells the story inside her head with her observational monologues as she enters her first year in high school.

As a teacher I think it is important to know how those feelings above along with feelings of ostracism and isolation can deeply affect the developing psyche of a young person. My hope is that by taking time to build relationships with my students I will be better prepared to honestly see them and know that many of them may have secrets too painful to speak about. Then through empathy and better understanding I can offer them a safe and creative space to release and exercise their demons through art.

2 comments:

  1. I think you phrased that very well about how adolescents feel in high school, and wanting to fit in. I also agree with your view on allowing for a space will not only help prosper creativity but also a source for expression for those things that they can't discuss, in fear of judgement whatever that may be.

    ReplyDelete